Go Pump Yourself: Phewww

Go Pump Yourself

Monday, August 22, 2005


The woman who works the weekday 8-4 shift is on vacation this week. I reluctantly volunteered for the Monday shift, thinking that if I could deal with what's supposed to be the roughest day of the week, I can deal with anything.

It was a cakewalk.

well, maybe not a cakewalk. There was a period of about two hours where the phone did not stop ringing - all the calls were for JN. It was actually funny, at first it was,
"JN, line one..."
Put that call on hold, pick up the next blinking line, "Oh you're holding for JN, one moment," "JN lines one and two..."
Crap the phone's ringing, "JN? One moment," At one point over the PA I paged him, "JN EVERY BLINKING LINE IS FOR YOU!!"

It was no busier than a weekend Day shift. What the hell was I so worried about? At one point I felt like I was actually at a "real" job. The customers were a lot nicer during the day too, from about 8-10 it was cabbies and truck drivers going to work, with a few "regular" people filling up for the day. The elderly came during lunch time, along with some harried looking moms with Mini vans full of kids heading to the mall.

for the past two weeks, JN's father, EN has been around to keep an eye on things. At least, that's why he thinks he's' there. Five different times he walked into the snack shop, gestured to the stale candy and potato chips and said, "You must guard these items very much," with a thick Yiddish accent, "You must make sure no one is stealing these items," As soon as he left I threw a couple of Hershey Bars at the Tow truck drivers and told them to run.

Around 3 EN comes in, looks at me, who he's had contact with all day and says, "You are PumpMistress?" Actually he said my real name, more accurately he mis pronounced my real name, but I can't print that. So I said yes, tis I. "You were under on your last shift by 20 dollars, I saw the paperwork." I told him I left the bookkeeper a note that while I was under by 20, the next clerk was over by the EXACT same amount. He shook his head and muttered something about nose-rings when he trotted out.

At 3.30 a huge shipment of Candy arrived and I gleefully ran around with a box cutter randomly opening boxes and peeking inside with no intention of actually putting anything on the shelves.

Did I ever mentioned that I only took this job so I could afford to follow a rock band on tour - back in JUNE?? And I'm still here!!


Post a Comment

<< Home